Annually, over 20,000 people visit the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, Freschi Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety warm your home.
- Put in a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Shut off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, purchase a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a oven to warm your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating equipment is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Freschi Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 925-384-1303 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.