When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Freschi Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to return outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Freschi Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Concord, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Concord or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Freschi Service Experts through our online scheduler.