Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is running? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your AC. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—issues eventually. We're going to help you understand what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Peruse our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is likely an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outdoor unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for supplementary information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
In most cases, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's better to get problems corrected right away. Contacting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.