Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new room year-round is a priority. However, they can create a unique problem for comfort. This is because installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the higher load, because it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most cost-effective options is to install a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Find out more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a great option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, since they’re much like ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient because they transfer heat to make your room comfier. In fact, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your energy costs for years to come.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a space with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Having a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s smarter than adding ductwork and using your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the exact figure will depend on your home, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system may become overwhelmed. When your current heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This could stress your system and make it wear down more rapidly.
- Your comfort may be impacted. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort may be reduced if your system is required to manage a larger location. Your heating and cooling may be less powerful, and your utility bills may get more expensive since the system needs to run more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Freschi Service Experts, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new addition. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Freschi Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Freschi Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide support. Give us a call at 925-384-1303 now to request a free consultation and estimate.