Prevention is the most important step. Taking proper safety precautions will reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Because vehicles are a major cause of carbon monoxide poisoning, always take your car out of the garage to let it warm up. Never leave it going in the confined space of a garage. The same holds true for lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
Never use ovens or grills as a heater. These heat sources are designed to be safe and efficient and not produce substantial amounts of carbon monoxide. However, it is important to check all combustion appliances to be sure they are operating properly and to be sure that all chimneys and vents are connected properly and not blocked. Schedule annual maintenance by a qualified technician to check the condition of these appliances.